Philliber Research Associates, St. Louis, Missouri, 2005
- Student pre & post, teacher, parent, and Teaching Artist questionnaires
- Student demographics: 25% African-American, 25% Hispanic, 30% Asian, 20% Anglo
- Respondents agreed that Dancing Classrooms:
- helped students overcome social anxieties
- enhanced respect and increased social skills
- increased student confidence and self-esteem
- increased student awareness of other cultures
- increased student physical development, coordination and participation in physical activity
- Teacher Comment: Many learned how to interact better with their peers; many learned to be more respectful of one another.
Dr. Larry Nelson, UTA College of Education, Arlington, Texas 2006
- Pre & post test protocol on 624 5th graders (1/3rd in control group)
- Sense of Mastery Global Scale and Sense of Relatedness Scale:
- Very Strong Statistical Difference:
- If I try hard it makes a difference.
- There are people who will help me if something bad happens.
- I get a lot of encouragement at my school.
- School will help me be successful.
- Strong Statistical Difference:
- I will be happy and successful when I grow up.
- I am getting the exercise that I need.
- People accept me for who I am.
- I feel supported.
- It makes me sad to see a girl or boy who cannot find anyone to play with.
- I respect people who are different than I am.
- Social Support within the Sense of Relatedness scale showed a Very Strong Statistical Difference